Themes From The In Crowd

"La vita vivente sulle prime linee" Living life on the front lines... Musings from a Midwest Girl...

12.07.2005

Honeybee Tap


So let’s take a trip back a week or so to Rock-a-Billy night at Martyrs. I had never been to Martyrs but Kort suggested we go as her husband’s friend was playing in this wonderful little band…

So B and I walk in and immediately order a shot of Jaeger and a beer for each of us…yes this is how this night is going to be. B is driving so it is up to me to continue on the drinking pattern…and continue on I did. The bar was a blast, filled with people dressed up in Rock-A-Billy costumes from their hats to their shoes. It looked like we were on the set of Cry Baby. All of the bands were excellent and their funky little sounds kept us intrigued all evening. Our company was great and when the HoneyBees went on stage we were ecstatic to hear Sean’s band that, it happened, was quite good. The women were in perfect harmony singing in a little country twill with Sean’s guitar in the background. There was a drummer that was so “kick some ass and take some names” that she might have frightened me just a little bit. Really, they were great, but most importantly they were fun. Once we all reconvened there were shots to be had and beers to be drunk and then moving on…to the Village Tap. Oh the Village Tap what a glory hole in the wall you are.

The Village Tap, for those that have never been, is a small town bar with a great jukebox stuck right in the middle of Chicago. They have cans of PBR for $1.50, and Golden T and Mrs. Pacman for game crowd. I believe that I saw a pool table, and must admit that the Tap is quite small and therefore I was really drunk b/c I cannot tell you if there was a pool table anywhere in the bar. I really want to say that there was. Madonna’s new album was pumping through the bar and there were about 7 of us in there to enjoy it. What I do know is that there was a picture booth…and that Brett, Kort and I decided it was a moral imperative to take pictures. And they turned out beautifully:




After the pictures, you ask? More beer, a neck massage, some witty remarks and then the all important decision that we were too drunk (we sans the B) and needed to go home as all of us had to work in the morning.

I have a couple of reasons that I would write about this night. I loved Martyrs and suggest that everyone go, I love the HoneyBees and suggest that everyone see them, I love my friends and suggest that everyone meet them, and I love the pictures and had to put them up. But most importantly, it was a great night. It was one of those nights that you don't expect anything to happen and you go out and have a fantastic time and you can never quite put your finger on why you had such a good time. I was surrounded great people and the night passed like a dream you do not want to wake up from. I was hungover as hell the next day (all day) but it was worth it because I had yet another opportunity to feel young, vibrant, funny, cute and exciting the night before.