Themes From The In Crowd

"La vita vivente sulle prime linee" Living life on the front lines... Musings from a Midwest Girl...

8.01.2006

Apple of my Eye

If you can imagine, I am literally one of the last people in Chicago that did not have an I-Pod. Hard to believe as you see throngs of people on the train everyday, with their white headphones streaming out of their bags connected to their ears. Everywhere you turn…the Jewel, the gym, the lakefront, the El, the bus, the street…if there are people in transit; they seem to have an I-Pod.

I had an MP3 player but it was just not doing the job. Call me a child of consumerism, but I wanted a shiny I-Pod. I adore all things
Apple, so it is only natural that I would love their little music players. It seemed, though that there were a hundred other things in life that needed my money more then an I-Pod. It seemed a bit indulgent for me to spend cash-o-la on a new MP3 player when I had wedding gifts to buy, car payments to make and student loans to pay off…but I had been secretly harboring a desire for a black Nano, hoping that Santa Claus would hear my little wish and bring me one as an early Christmas gift.

My gift came not in the form of Jolly Old St. Nick, but in the form of a Jolly Old Muslim Man! My boss, as a thank you for taking on a HUGE task, gave me a gift card to Apple. Knowing that I did not have an I-Pod of my own and that I wanted one badly, he came through with a lovely gift card and my I-Pod was a reality!

Today it arrived. It is beautiful, little, shiny and black (all of the qualities I love in people and things). The packaging is sleek and every bit as divine as I thought it would be. Apple sent me an I-Tunes gift card and a “thank you” for becoming a customer. Once again, Apple’s genius marketing department has me hooked. I want to read about my little Nano all day and go home and put my tunes on it…but alas…a day of work is necessary. I will dream of playing with the little Nano upon my arrival home, and that will get me through the day!

As this is a new toy, I need to name my I-Pod, so I am taking name suggestions. What do you think?